Friday, September 1, 2017

FC 170 made it to my shop

Picked up this 1960 Willys Jeep FC 170 in Pennsylvania.
Needs a lot of work but I am hoping the mechanicals are not too bad.
Best I can tell is that this truck is a 1960 FC170 wide track with the updated cab (with the improved cooling tunnel).
This is a four wheel drive vehicle with 3 speed manual transmission and hi/low transfer case.
Seems like the truck and other accessories are pretty much stock.
The brakes are drum (front and back) and the under dash mounted e-brake is connected to the rear drums though a cable that splits into 2 cables halfway under the bed. These 2 cables then go to the back drums.
This truck has a snow plow option with an included plow.
Was told the vehicle was running when parked under a carpet years ago.
When I bought it we pushed it onto my tow trailer with a small tractor. Transmission went into nuetral fine and vehicle rolled up onto the tow trailer without incident.
Restoration plan is to sand body rust, epoxy seal, gut interior, get varnish out of gas tank, drain and replace all fluids/filters, open spark plug holes and fill engine with Marvel mystery oil prior to turning over by hand.
Will post updates to this blog as I make progress. This will be a restomod project. I do plan on driving it. I will update the necessary parts for functionality purposes and looks-not for period correct restoration.
This a hobby for me so feel free to contact me if I can help with your FC project or if u see something I need to address as I am not an expert in these vehicles.
For anybody reading here the best resources I have found for Willys Jeep FCs are the Forward Forum and the Forward Connection.


No comments:

Post a Comment